Associate Professor, Department of Afroamerican and African Studies
Associate Professor, Anthropology
- firstname.lastname@example.org, 734.764.9917
- Polio Initiative in Northern Nigeria. Study of the international polio eradication initiative in Northern Nigeria, focusing on the historical, cultural, political context of this campaign (current).
- New Technologies of Machine-Embroidered Robe Production and Changing Gender Roles in Zaria, Nigeria with Dr. Salihu Maiwada, Ahmadu Bello University (2005, Fulbright Senior Fellowship).
- GIEU: Undergraduate Research on Household Environmental Pollution in Ghana with Frieda Ekotto. This project researches the problem of indoor air population and maternal/child health in Accra, Ghana, with fieldwork conducted in two urban neighborhoods (2004).
- At Michigan, she has conducted graduate seminars on contemporary African societies, demographic anthropology, and African textiles and social history
- and undergraduate courses on introductory anthropology, Africa and the African diaspora, childbirth and culture, and African women.
- Areas of research interest include: African ethnology
- medical anthropology
- fertility and reproductive health
- gender relations
- the anthropology of development
- religion and social change
- and the anthropology of cloth.
- Department of Afroamerican and African Studies (DAAS)