Director, African Studies Center
Associate Professor, Anthropology
Associate Professor, Department of Afroamerican and African Studies
- Executive Producer, Poetry in Motion: 100 Years of Ikhwan Safaa (in collaboration with Jahazi Media). A documentary film exploring the 100-year history of the Nadi Ikhwan Safaa taarab orchestra of Zanzibar (2005-present).
- Socialist-Postsocialist Transformation in Tanzanian Villages (2006, U-M OSVPAA).
- Zanzibar Revelations: Remembered Futures, Dismembered Pasts (2000-04, Wenner-Gren Foundation). An international collaboration with Dr. Harith Ghassany of Sultan Qaboos University (Muscat, Oman) on the circulation of histories and sources concerning the 1964 Zanzibar Revolution.
- Extensive work on music, politics, performance and nationalism which resulted in the book 'Performing the Nation' (a finalist for the 2003 Herskovits Award for best book on Africa).
- South Africa
- Department of Afroamerican and African Studies (DAAS)