Professor, Department of Afroamerican and African Studies
Director, Museum Studies Program
- email@example.com, 734.615.9847, 734.936.6401
- Current projects deal with comparative museology, specifically examining strategies for presentation and representation of indigenous or local knowledge in museums. In collaboration with colleagues at MSU, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), and the University of Ghana, Legon.
- Led six U-M graduates to Ghana to assist in a long-term development project establishing a community-based cultural center in the town of Techiman. This project offered students an opportunity to apply museum theory in the field (May-June 2006, Rackham). Another group of students will travel to Ghana in May-June 2007 to continue work on the project in collaboration with faculty and students from MSU and KNUST.
- Research in Ethiopia focusing on the history of precious metalworking (gold and silver) traditions of Tigray, and contemporary religious painting of the Orthodox Church (1991-2004).
- Author of two books: Ethiopia: Traditions of Creativity (1999) and Painting Ethiopia: The Life and Work of Qes Adamu Tesfaw (2005).
- Museum Studies Program
- Department of Afroamerican and African Studies (DAAS)