Study Abroad

The Center for European Studies encourages U-M students to spend time during their studies in Europe, either as part of a formal study abroad program, conducting independent research, or participating in an internship. See below for information on study abroad options for U-M students, and visit our funding opportunities page for more on support for overseas travel.

EU Study Abroad Program

Application Deadline: January 19, 2015

This University of Windsor/University of Michigan program is sponsored by CES and led by Stephen Brooks, professor of political science at the University of Windsor and director of Michigan's Ottawa Internship Program. The theme for the 2015 program is "The EU as a Global Actor," and the program will take place in Leuven and Brussels, Belgium, from May 3-16, 2015. 
More information

Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS)

U-M's Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) offers several semester and year-long study abroad opportunities in Europe for which U-M students receive in-residence (not transfer) credit. Visit M-Compass to search for current program offerings in the Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

University of Michigan Travel Policy

Effective 9/1/11, all U-M students traveling abroad for University-related purposes (i.e., participating in study, research, work, or volunteer programs organized or supported by U-M departments/units or for which U-M in-residence credit is granted) are required to 

  1. Register their travel in the U-M Travel Registry and 
  2. Buy U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance. Students may also buy this insurance for personal or leisure travel abroad. For information about the plan's benefits and costs, see Travel Abroad Health Insurance.

For information about immunizations and other travel-related health matters, see Travel Health Services.