Where can I find information about Japanese classes offered at the U of M?

All Japanese language courses at the University of Michigan are offered through the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures. You can contact the department at 734.764.8286 or by email at um-alc@umich.edu.

I'd like to study in Japan through a UM study abroad program. Who should I call?

University of Michigan study abroad programs are handled by the Center for Global and Intercultural Study. You can contact CGIS at 734.764.4311.

Are evening Japanese classes offered anywhere in Southeast Michigan?

Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti (734.487.0130), Schoolcraft College in Livonia (734.462.4400), or Lingua Technics of Ann Arbor (734.662.0434) may offer courses for the general public. Please contact them directly for more information. CJS does not necessarily endorse any of the above programs.

I need to have something translated. Who should I contact?

CJS does not provide translation or interpretation services. If you have need of translating services, you could contact Sue Aitken of the American Translators Association and Michigan Translators and Interpreters network. She can be reached at linguasci@aol.com.Yasuo Watanabe of the Japanese and English Professional Interpreters’ Association of Detroit also offers interpretation and translation services for a fee. He can be reached at ywat@umich.edu.

I am an employer looking to hire someone who speaks Japanese. Can CJS help me?

CJS maintains several email groups for students, alumni, and those interested in Japan-related employment opportunities. All requests for job postings must be sent in writing to umcjs@umich.edu. CJS staff will then forward the posting on to the appropriate email groups. Those interested in the position will contact you directly.

I am interested in working at CJS. Are there any vacant positions?

When a staff position is available at CJS, it is posted on the University's website. Please follow the application procedures posted on that website. The Center does not accept applications directly.

If you are a UM student looking for a temporary position, please contact us at umcjs@umich.edu to see if there is an opening.

I am planning to visit Ann Arbor, Could you recommend some places to stay?

U-M's Campus Information Center has compiled a list of accommodations near campus. Please go to this link to visit that site: http://www.umich.edu/~info/.

How can I receive a visa to live in Japan?

For all visa-related matters, please contact the Consulate General of Japan in Detroit at 313.567.0120.

I am a teacher who would like information about Japan to pass on to my students.

CJS employs a part-time Outreach Coordinator to assist K-14 educators on Japan-related topics. Please contact CJS at umcjs@umich.edu.

I'd like to donate Japan-related books to the U of M. Who should I contact?

As a general rule, the U-M Asia Library does not accept unsolicited book donations, however they do consider rare or unusual items on a case by case basis. For inquiries, please contact Keiko Yokota-Carter, Japanese Studies Librarian, at kyokotac@umich.edu or 734.764.7774.