Dual Degrees

The Center for Japanese Studies offers options to pursue additional degrees in combination with the Master of Arts in Japanese Studies.

Graduate Dual Degrees

In addition to the stand-alone interdisciplinary Master of Arts degree in Japanese Studies, the Center offers three dual/joint degree programs that combine the MA in Japanese Studies with graduate degrees and certificates offered by other schools and colleges at U-M.

The Center offers two, established dual/joint degree programs:

In addition, the Center encourages students to propose self-initiated dual degrees.  All graduate degrees and certificates except the MBA and JD are eligible.

Students interested in pursuing a Japan-related PhD in a humanities or social science discipline after the MA will complete the degrees sequentially so this is not considered a dual degree.  Students apply to the PhD program in their last year of the MA program or after completing the MA.  Students already enrolled in a PhD program may enroll in the MA program as a dual degree student.

Undergraduate/Graduate Dual Degree

The Center for Japanese Studies welcomes undergraduates with a strong commitment to Japanese Studies with an excellent academic record to apply to the Master of Arts in Japanese Studies as a Concurrent Undergraduate/Graduate Studies (CUGS) student.

More Information

For more information on each of these dual/joint degree options, please use the navigation links at the right.