Self-Initiated Dual Degree in Japanese Studies and Another UM Graduate Degree or Certificate Program

The Center for Japanese Studies welcomes students who wish to combine interdisciplinary training in Japanese Studies with another graduate degree or graduate certificate at the University of Michigan.  Any graduate degree or certificate except MBA and JD degrees which have a pre-established dual/joint degree program can be combined with the CJS MA degree.  In recent years, students have combined the CJS MA degree with degrees in information/library science, public policy, health sciences, and engineering, and graduate certificates in museum studies and women's studies among others.

Students who are interested in pursing a self-initiated dual degree are encouraged to contact the CJS Academic Services Coordinator at early in the process for consultation.  Students usually begin one graduate degree program and apply to the second graduate degree or certificate program during their first year.  Students applying for self-initiated dual degree follow the same admission deadlines and submit the same application materials as new students.

Enrollment in a PhD program following the completion of the Japanese Studies MA is considered sequential and not a self-initiated dual degree.  Students typically apply to the PhD program in the second year of the MA and complete the MA degree in May or August prior to beginning the PhD program in September.