General Campus Resources

Resources on Graduate StudyGeneral resources on graduate study from Rackham

Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies

Rackham's website,,  provides a wealth of resources on graduate student life, including diversity issues, health and wellness, mental health resources, events and workshops, graduate student organizations, and campus and community resources.

Rackham's New Student Welcome ( web pages provide a wealth of information and links to resources that help you make the transition to being a graduate student at the University of Michigan.

Graduate School Blog ( offers up-to-date pointers about professional development opportunities, issues in graduate education, tips on maintaining wellness, campus news, and much more.  The blog also showcases posts from a group of graduate student bloggers as they share their perspectives on graduate student life.

Rackham Video on YouTube ( offers a series of student-to-student videos comprised of interviews with 20 current graduate students on a variety of topics, including getting ready for graduate school, balancing work and life, getting to know Ann Arbor, and advice for international students, students with disabilities, and students with children.

Rackham Interdisciplinary Workshops

Rackham Graduate School sponsors interdisciplinary study groups for graduate students and faculty called Rackham Interdisciplinary Workshops (RIW).  These workshops focus on an interdisciplinary topic, involve faculty and students from multiple departments and hold informal workshops, reading groups, and social events.  Japanese Studies Interdisciplinary Colloquium (JSIC) is a Rackham Interdisciplinary Workshop sponsored by CJS.  For a list of workshops, see the Rackham website at:

Living in Ann ArborHousing, public transportation, parking...

General Information on Ann Arbor

For general information on the city of Ann Arbor and surrounding areas, visit the Ann Arbor Area Visitors and Convention Bureau (  ArborWeb (, maintained by the Ann Arbor Observer magazine, has extensive information on events in the Ann Arbor community, restaurants, night spots, and visitor information.  It also has a really nice neighborhood guide and a list of large apartment complexes.


The U-M Housing Information Office ( keeps an extensive website about various options for housing in Ann Arbor.  Options for graduate students include dormitory, on-campus apartments, and various off-campus housing such as rooms, apartments, co-ops, and houses. You can apply for on-campus housing through this office.  It also maintains a referral service for off-campus housing.  This office also runs a roommate matching service.

On Campus Housing

Options for graduate students include dormitory and apartments.  The Housing Information Office handles applications.

Off-Campus Group Living Options

Several options exist for students who wish to live with other students in shared housing arrangements:

  • U-M Inter-Coop Council ( ICC manages a number of houses near Central and North campus.
  • Telluride Association ( Living-learning community near Central Campus offers room and board scholarships to its residents.

Parking and Transportation

Ann Arbor is a fairly compact city with a very good public transportation system, so it is possible to live without a car even if you live off campus. UM Parking and Transportation Services ( runs a free shuttle service that links the north, central, and athletic campuses as well as the commuter parking lots. You can also find information on student parking options on campus on this site. Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (AATA) runs bus services covering Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. UM students ride free on AATA buses with their student ID. You can find more information on their routes and schedules on their website (

Financial Resources

Need-Based Financial Aid

The UM Office of Financial Aid ( handles all need-based aid, including federally subsidized loans, private loans, and work-study.  Please look in the “Guide for Graduate Students” section ( for information specific to graduate students.

Emergency Grants

The Rackham Graduate School offers emergency funding for graduate students who encumber unexpected expenses such as out of pocket medical and dental expenses and travel expenses related to death of a family member or close relative.  For more information, see the Graduate Student Emergency Fund page on the Rackham website.

Computing on Campus

Standard Computing Package

Information and Technology Services (ITS) manages computing services for students.  All registered students are provided with a Standard Computing Package that includes access to public computing sites, email, personal file storage, and printing.  For an introduction to computing on campus, see the Getting Connected Orientation Guide on the ITS website.

Using Wireless on Campus

Most campus buildings are covered by the university's wireless network.  Go to the ITS WiFi website for more information and step by step instructions on how to connect to MWireless network, the secure and preferred method for connecting for UM students.

Mobile Computing

If you have a smart phone, there are free apps as well as mobile-friendly websites.  Go to the ITS Mobile Apps Center for more information.

Buying Computers and Software

UM offers sales of computer hardware and software at academic discount for eligible students, faculty and staff.  See the Computer Showcase website for more information on eligibility, what's available, and how to purchase.

Resources for Students with Special NeedsMedical & mental health, disabilities, children, international students...

Health Care

University Health Service ( is the on-campus health care provider for students, and operates a walk-in clinic for urgent care.  Most routine services provided at UHS are free to registered students.  UHS also provides care for student's family members for a fee and accepts most major insurance.  UHS provides routine medical care, including gynecological, mental health, and vision services, and makes referrals to specialists when it cannot provide the necessary services.  UHS also provides health insurance for purchase to domestic students.  (International students go to the International Center to obtain their health insurance.)

The University of Michigan Health System ( is a teaching hospital and outpatient clinic attached to the UM Medical School.  It provides primary care and a wide variety of specialty clinics.

Counseling and Psychological Services ( provides free counseling to registered students.

Students with Disabilities

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD, supports the needs of students with physical, mental, and learning disabilities in pursuing their education at UM.

Resources for Students with Children

The Students with Children website ( is dedicated to the needs of students at UM who juggle parenting/family care, study, and work. Resources include child care, financial assistance, social support, housing, and health care information.

The UM Childcare Gateway ( provides links to child care resources at the University of Michigan.

International Students

The International Center ( handles international student visas, health insurance for international students, and provides workshops and events for international students and their families.

The English Language Institute (ELI, offers testing, consultation, and courses on academic English for students who are not native speakers of English.

Work-Related ResourcesResources for finidng work on campus and beyond

Working on Campus

Work-Study and Student Temporary Positions

The Student Employment Office ( handles on campus Work-Study and non-Work Study jobs for students.  There are all kinds of jobs on campus—from simple clerical work to being a research assistant for a professor to tutoring another student.  You can search for available positions and apply for them online from their website.

Graduate Student Assistantships

U-M has three types of graduate student assistantships: Graduate Student Instructors (GSI, teaching assistants), Graduate Student Staff Assistants (GSSA, administrative assistance), and Graduate Student Research Assistants (GSRA, research assistance).  GSIs are hired by teaching units; interested students apply directly to each teaching unit.  CJS is not a teaching unit and does not have any GSI position.  All open GSI and GSSA positions are posted on the UM Jobs website (; use the link on the left menu for Graduate Student Appointments).  GSRAs are hired by individual research projects and their faculty directors (principal investigators); interested students apply directly to the project.

Career Planning and Placement

For more specific information on resources to look for jobs related to Japan and Japanese Studies, see the Japan-Related Jobs section of the CJS website.

The Career Center ( provides services for graduate students seeking positions inside or outside of the academy, including workshops, programs, counseling, a reference letter center, postings of job opportunities and upcoming campus visits by companies in various fields.