Moscow Study Tour, 2008. Alaina Lemon, associate professor of anthropology, with U-M students and their Russian hosts. Photo by Zane Salim.
CREES Study Tours
CREES occasionally sponsors short-term interdisciplinary study tours in Poland and Russia. The Center's most recent offering was a Moscow Study Tour in May 2008. Please re-visit the CREES website for future programs. In addition, CREES, the International Institute, and other U-M units offer grants to support individually-developed internships and research projects in the region (see Student Funding).
Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS)
U-M's Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) offers several semester and year-long study abroad opportunities in Eastern Europe and Russia for which U-M students receive in-residence (not transfer) credit. Visit M-Compass to search for current program offerings in the Czech Republic, Finland, Poland, and Russia.
University of Michigan Travel Policy
Effective 9/1/11, all U-M students traveling abroad for University-related purposes (i.e., participating in study, research, work, or volunteer programs organized or supported by U-M departments/units or for which U-M in-residence credit is granted) are required to
- Register their travel in the U-M Travel Registry and
- Buy U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance. Students may also buy this insurance for personal or leisure travel abroad. For information about the plan's benefits and costs, see Travel Abroad Health Insurance.
For information about immunizations and other travel-related health matters, see Travel Health Services.
Some students opt to pursue study abroad programs on their own that are not sponsored by U-M (see sample programs listed below). Courses taken on non-U-M programs may or may not count for credit or towards distribution or major requirements. Please consult with the LSA Academic Advising Center and your department advisor for advice on transfer credits before enrolling in these non-U-M programs.
Two useful resources for program options are:
- The CREES opportunities blog
- The International Center's Overseas Opportunities Office (a clearinghouse for information on a broad range of education abroad options including study, internships, volunteering, etc.)
Programs at Other U.S. Colleges and Universities
- The Melikian Center's Critical Languages Institute at Arizona State University offers summer language programs in Tempe as well as several countries of Eastern Europe and Eurasia.
- Dartmouth College has a Russian language program in St. Petersburg.
- University of Kansas hosts summer language programs in Croatia, Poland, Turkey, and Ukraine.
- Ohio State University offers year-long, semester, and summer programs in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
- University of Pittsburgh offers summer language programs in Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Montenegro, Poland, Russia, and Slovakia.
- The Advanced Critical Language Institute for Russian Immersion is a six-week summer program in St. Petersburg offered by Stony Brook University.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison has study abroad programs in Croatia, Czech Republic, Poland, and Russia.
Other Information Resources or Program Providers
- The American Association of Teachers of Slavic and Eastern European Languages has a website listing intensive programs in Slavic and East European languages in the U.S. and abroad.
- The American Councils for International Education: ACTR/ACCELS administers cultural exchange, study abroad, and research programs to facilitate mutual understanding between the United States and Eurasia, Southeast Europe, and South Asia.
- The American Institute for Foreign Study offers semester, year-long, and summer programs in Prague and St. Petersburg.
- American University maintains a Summer Study List of programs in Russian and other Slavic and East European languages.
- The Center for Study Abroad runs programs in the Czech Republic and Russia.
- Central European University offers undergraduate study and internship options as well as high-level, research-based "Summer University" courses for graduate students, junior or post-doctoral researchers, teachers, and professionals.
- Cross-Cultural Solutions has volunteering abroad opportunities in Russia.
- Jagiellonian University (Krakow, Poland) offers summer, semester, and year-long programs in Polish language and culture for foreign students.
- Projects Abroad has short-term volunteer opportunities in Moldova and Romania.
- University of Tartu, Estonia has programs for undergraduate and graduate students.
- The School for International Training has programs in several countries in Central and Eastern Europe.
- The School of Russian and Asian Studies offers semester and summer language, arts, and various other thematic programs across Russia and in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.