Summer Language Programs in the U.S.
For information on area summer language programs outside the U.S., as well as several with both U.S. and overseas components, see Study Abroad.
- The American Association of Teachers of Slavic and Eastern European Languages has a website listing intensive programs in Slavic and East European languages in the U.S. and abroad.
- The University of Michigan Summer Language Institute offers intensive Russian language courses.
- The Baltic Studies Summer Institute (BALSSI) offers intensive Estonian, Latvian, and Lithuanian language courses. Supported by a consortium of U.S. Department of Education-designated National Resource Centers BALSSI rotates among participating schools. In 2010 and 2011, BALSSI will be held at the University of Wisconsin, Madison; in 2012, 2013, and 2014, it will be held at the University of Pittsburgh.
- The Summer Workshop in Slavic, East European and Central Asian Languages at Indiana University offers intensive courses in Russian and a range of languages of Central and East Europe, Central Asia, and the Caucasus. CREES is a member of the consortium of U.S. Department of Education-designated National Resource Centers that helps support Central Asian language offerings.
- The University of Pittsburgh Russian and East European Summer Language Institute offers intensive courses in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Bulgarian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Slovak, and Ukrainian. Bulgarian and Advanced Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian programs are supported by the Southeast European Language Consortium, which is composed of several U.S. Department of Education-designated National Resource Centers.