Undergraduate Student FLAS Fellowships
A Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship provides tuition support and a stipend to students studying designated foreign languages in combination with area studies or international aspects of professional studies. The program's priority is to encourage the study of less commonly taught languages. FLAS Fellowships are administered by the International Institute and the associated area center and are awarded competitively through annual fellowship competitions. The U.S. Department of Education (US/ED) funds these awards under the provisions of Title VI of the Higher Education Act. The amount of funding and number of awards granted is contingent upon annual US/ED program approval, federal regulations, as well as continued congressional funding, all of which may change from year to year.
Academic Year Undergraduate FLAS Fellowships
The center welcomes applications from University of Michigan undergraduates pursuing formal study of a modern language of the region, at the intermediate or advanced level, along with a course or courses of related area or international studies. Recipients of an academic-year FLAS fellowship will receive funding support for tuition and fees during the academic year fall and winter terms. Amounts have not been finalized. FLAS awards cannot be deferred.
Eligible students in any discipline and department may apply for Academic Year FLAS fellowships. Priority will be given to students who have completed at least one year of formal language training at the University of Michigan with a demonstrated strong commitment to center specific regional studies. Preference will also be given to students who show a commitment to pursuing government service and to those students interested in advanced language study beyond the fellowship period.
- FLAS Fellows must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- FLAS Fellows must be enrolled as full-time students at the University of Michigan during the Fall and Winter semesters.
- FLAS Fellows must enroll in a language course and at least one area course for a letter grade (i.e., not pass/fail) in both the Fall and Winter semesters.
- FLAS Fellowships will be awarded for languages of this region, specifically Hindi, Punjabi, Tibetan, and Urdu.
- FLAS Fellowships are not open to students who are native speakers of the language for which they are applying.
To access the application and information packet please go to the FLAS website and submit all application materials by 5pm on January 20. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all FLAS application materials have arrived at the center. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for awards.