The Center for Southeast Asian Studies is one of six NRCs housed in the International Institute. These prestigious designations, earned in national peer-reviewed competitions, are awarded by the U.S. Department of Education Title VI program. This program strives to develop the nation’s capacities in international studies, area studies, foreign languages, and international business education.
The six NRC-designated centers also received grants for Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships. These centers administer annual competitions to award undergraduate and graduate-level fellowships to support the study of foreign languages.
Centers Awarded Grants
- East Asia National Resource Center (comprising U-M’s Centers for Chinese Studies and Japanese Studies and the Nam Center for Korean Studies)
- Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies
- Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
- Center for South Asian Studies
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies
- Center for International Business Education