Center for Southeast Asian Studies Research Award
Faculty Research Grant for Southeast Asia
CSEAS supports faculty research on Southeast Asia and Southeast Asian related issues. Proposals are judged on the following criteria:
- Scholarly merit and potential impact, both to your discipline AND to the understanding of Southeast Asia.
- Contribution of the project to the distinction, visibility, and teaching of Southeast Asian Studies at the University of Michigan.
- Value of the project to advancing the applicant’s research agenda and career. Junior rank will be given preference over senior rank.
- Record of previous CSEAS support, if any.
- Feasibility of the project and appropriateness of the research plan and budget.
Full-time University of Michigan faculty, librarians, and curators who will be teaching courses are eligible.
Typical awards are between $2,000-4,000.
Please electronically submit the following materials to email@example.com. The deadline for this grant is rolling.
1. Project description. In a statement of 1000 words or less, explicitly describe the following:
- Goals of your research. What will be learned as a result of the proposed project?
- Questions you seek to address, their importance to your discipline AND to the study of Southeast Asia, and their connection to new lines of inquiry.
- Research plan outlining your methodology and showing the specific work to be undertaken during the grant period.
- If this proposal is part of an ongoing project, please specify the stage that it represents.
- Eventual dissemination or publication plans. How will you share the results of your research? If the project will lead to a book or an article, where do you plan to submit your manuscript?
2. Budget. See sample below. No summer salary can be funded. A travel per diem in Southeast Asia (includes lodging, meals and transportation) should be used. Computers and other permanent equipment cannot be funded.
3. Curriculum Vitae. Provide an up-to-date C.V. It should include publications and statement of Southeast Asia-related experience.
|Personnel||Research Assistant [Name] salary||
|Translator ($15 x 50 hours)||
|Per diem in Thailand ($70 x 15 days)||
|Supplies||Books and journals||