The Islamic Studies Program (ISP) welcomes proposals from graduate students for research and conference engagements, and undergraduate students for event co-sponsorships:
- Graduate Student Research and Conference Travel Grants: Funds may be used to pursue individual research projects domestically and internationally, or to attend/present research for a conference or workshop that explores topics in Islam and Muslim communities.
- Undergraduate Event Co-Sponsorship Awards: Funds may be used to support any event that engages part of the Islamic world with a broader thematic focus on Islam and Muslim communities on the University of Michigan campus.
Awards of up to $1,500 are granted, depending on the number and character of successful proposals.
Application deadline: Rolling
Proposals should include:
- An explanatory statement no longer than 1,000 words;
- A current CV for each principal organizer/participant; and
- A budget detailing anticipated costs and all sources of support (pending and confirmed).
We expect applicants will also explore other sources of support, where appropriate. Successful applicants will be asked to submit a project description for the ISP website and annual report; a final report is expected as a condition of future support.
Successful proposals have demonstrated long-term scholarly impact, shown educational value for graduate or undergraduate support, contributed to the broader mission of ISP, and leveraged other sources of support. Funds may be requested for pilot projects or to supplement existing projects.
Please send proposals to Dani Koel.
2013-14 Graduate Student Research and Conference Travel Grants
Dustin Gamza, PhD Political Science, to present the paper "Repressing the Nation: Religious Repression, Islam, and Political Identity in Central Asia" at the annual conference of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
2013-14 Undergraduate Event Co-Sponsorships Awards
Indonesian Student Association (PERMIAS)
Feb 22, 2014 - Indonesian Cultural Night
Malaysian Students Association (MiMSA)
Mar 15, 2014 - Malaysian Studies Forum
Mar 30, 2014 - Malaysian Cultural Night
Muslim Students' Association
Mar 20, 2014 - #Trending: Muslim Women Journalists and the Politics of Representation
Mar 21, 2014 - Ustadh Usama Canon, Director of Ta’leef Collective, "Assimilation, Isolation,
and Integration of Muslims in America"