PLEASE NOTE: Applications are due by 5:00 PM, Thursday, September 4, 2015
for the 2015-16 academic year
The Program in International and Comparative Studies (PICS) offers an honors program for International Studies majors with an overall GPA of 3.4 and with a grade of B+ or better in INTLSTD 101. Students elect INTLSTD 498 in the fall and INTLSTD 499 in the winter (the senior honors proseminars) during their senior year and write a major research-paper under the direction of a faculty advisor and the instructor of INTLSTD 498-499.
- By mid-July, INTLSTD 498.001 will be open to all students who have expressed an interest in the program. Students will be granted an override and should register for the course if they want to be in the program.
- Not all students who want to be in the honors program will be accepted. If not accepted, students will have the option of dropping INTLSTD 498.001 or continuing in the course to complete a term paper.
- Applications are due usually at the beginning of September and students will be notified of their status (accepted or not accepted) before the first class meeting.
- Students are required to write an honors thesis and will be responsible for obtaining a faculty member to serve as a thesis advisor. Both the thesis topic and the thesis advisor must be approved by the PICS director or the INTLSTD 498-499 instructor prior to beginning work on the thesis.
The application must include the following:
- A brief letter of support from a faculty advisor who will advise the student on the honors thesis. This person should be a tenure-track faculty member at the University of Michigan (exceptions rarely will be granted and must be approved) and clearly indicate that he or she is willing to counsel the student on the thesis.
- A description of the project that addresses what research question the student is trying to answer and how he or she will go about answering it, as well as what research has been completed thus far. The description should be no more than two pages, single-spaced, or 1000 words maximum.
- An official or unofficial transcript.
INTLSTD 498.001 deadlines for the 2015-16 academic year
- By July 10, 2015, INTLSTD 498.001 will be open to all students who have expressed an interest in the program.
- Applications are due by 5:00 PM, Thursday, September 4, 2015 and should be sent electronically to PICS.Honors2016@umich.edu
- By September 8, 2015, students will be notified of their status (accepted or not accepted) before the first class meeting.
- TBA: The first class will meet.