Support for International Internships
The Center for International and Comparative Studies (CICS) announces a call for applications from undergraduate students at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor who have declared the International Studies concentration or minor and are planning to work as interns during the summer of 2012. Download the 2013 call and application form.
Students are eligible to apply if they have secured an internship with an organization, preferably working in the areas of one of the CICS themes:
- Human rights
- International development
- International security and cooperation
Grants of up to $2,000 to will be awarded to a limited number of students. Students must have an internship assignment secured from a reputable organization, and must have documentation showing internship is secured. Funding can be used by the student to pay travel and living expenses. These funds are primarily intended for students working unpaid for the organization. If students are being paid, however, it is possible to receive funding to offset high expenses not covered by the organization.
Looking for an internship?
Visit the U-M International Center in the Michigan Union for internship opportunities, advice, or inspiration.
Preference will be given to applications based on the organization’s contribution to one of the CICS themes listed above.
Awardees must submit a final report to CICS:
- A 3-page report must be submitted within 6 weeks after completion of the internship.
- Reports should include a summary of the activities completed and work accomplished.
- Reports may be used in CICS or II publications or web sites.
The following items must be submitted by the deadline:
- Completed CICS funding request cover sheet (2012 application form for reference only)
- 1-page description of the internship
- Detailed budget
- Letter of recommendation
- Evidence that the internship is secured (e.g., offer letter with description of job tasks)
- Any additional materials that describe the organization, such as brochures, website addresses, mission statements (these items may be delivered as hard copies if brochures aren’t available online)
Applications will be reviewed by members of the CICS Advisory Committee. Awards will be based on the quality of the materials submitted.
Applications are due by Thursday, March 14, 2013 by 5pm (for summer 2013)
Contact and Delivery Information
Email Applications to:
Center for International and Comparative Studies (CICS)
1080 S. University, Suite 2607