Review and selection will be made by a multidisciplinary faculty committee at the University of Michigan and will be based on the following:
- Academic quality of the candidate and of the proposed program of scholarship
- Academic fit of the candidate with others selected in the cycle and with the areas of interest described in the Scholarly Program section below – it is our hope to facilitate scholarly networks
- Support of the candidate’s home institution
Priority will be given to candidates from disadvantaged backgrounds. Promotion of gender equity in the current class of scholars and in the African academy will also be prioritized. Applicants who already have significant international experience will not be favored.
Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, paired with a faculty mentor with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing, and a modest stipend to cover living, health care, and research costs while at U-M.
Important note: The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community
For further inquiries, please contact: email@example.com