Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on each section title to reveal the contents of each section.  When you are done, you may close the section by clicking on the title again.  If you are unable to find answers to your question, please contact the International Institute Graduate Academic Services Office at

General Questions

1. When is the application deadline?

The application deadline is December 15 annually for admission beginning the fall term of the following year.

2. Can I apply to start in the winter term?

The Center does not normally take applications to start in the winter term (January); however, we will consider extenuating circumstances on a case by case basis.  Please contact the CJS Academic Services Coordinator to determine if this is appropriate in your situation.  In order to be admitted to start in the winter term, you MUST apply for admission the previous fall term on the same schedule as fall term applicants and after receiving an admission offer, request to defer matriculation for one term to the winter term.

3. Do I have to apply simultaneously to the dual degree program?

No.  If you are interested in pursuing a dual degree with the MA in Japanese Studies, you have two options.  Option one is to apply simultaneously to both programs.  Option two is to apply to one program, get admitted, start your studies, and then apply to the second program during your first year.

4. Do I have to have an undergraduate degree in Japanese Studies (East Asian Studies, Asian Studies)?

No.  You do not need to have an undergraduate degree in Japanese Studies to apply. The Center encourages applications from students of all backgrounds with a strong commitment to Japanese Studies.

5. How much Japanese do I need to know (or have studied) to apply?

There is no minimum requirement for Japanese language to apply; even students with no previous study of Japanese language may apply.

As a general rule, and all other things being equal, higher Japanese language proficiency will increase your likelihood of admission but the CJS Admissions and Fellowships Committee will consider all other factors and make its final decision in a holistic manner.

Applicants with little or no proficiency in Japanese must demonstrate a strong commitment to the study of Japanese language and aptitude for language study (e.g., through study of another language).

6. Who do I contact if I have questions?

Please contact the International Institute Graduate Academic Services Office at

7.  Where do I mail application materials?

Please see the Mailing Instructions section on the bottom of the Application Materials page for mailing instructions including addresses.

8. How will I know if the materials I sent by mail have been received?

If any required materials have not been received by the Center after the application deadline, you will be contacted by email with information on missing items.

Rackham Online Application Questions

1. Where do I find the online Rackham Graduate Student Application?


2.  Do I need to finish the online application in one session?

No.  You may log out and return to the application as often as you need.  You do not need to use the same computer.  Please be sure to remember your Username and password so that you can log in and return to your application.  If you cannot remember your user name and/or password, see answers to questions B-5 and B-6 below.

3.  How do I return to an application that I started?

Go here and use the green Apply Now button. Then sign in with your ApplyWeb Username and password.

4. Who do I contact to get technical help with the ApplyWeb online application system?

For technical assistance with the ApplyWeb application system, please contact CollegeNet by email at

5. I set up an ApplyWeb account but I can't remember the Username.  How do I find it?

Go here and use the green Apply Now button.  When you get to the sign in page, use the Forgot Your Username or Password? button and follow the instructions.

6. I can't remember my ApplyWeb password.  What do I do?

Go here and use the green Apply Now button.  When you get to the sign in page, use the Forgot Your Username or Password? button and follow the instructions.

Questions about Test Scores

1. Is there a minimum GRE score required for admission?

No.  The Center does not have a minimum required GRE score, either in total scores or in any of the individual scores.

2.  I hear that there is a new GRE general test with a new score scale.  Do I have to retake the GRE to get the new scores?

No.  The GRE scores are valid for five years, and we will accept both the old and new score scales during the transition period.  If you are happy with your current GRE score, you do not need to retake the GRE to get the new scores.

3. Is there a minimum TOEFL score required for admission?

Non-native speakers of English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting an acceptable score on a TOEFL or another test of English proficiency.  Applicants with an undergraduate degree from an institution whose language of instruction is exclusively in English is exempt from this requirement.

The minimum internet-based TOEFL (IBT) total score for admission is 84.  There are no minimums for individual component scores.  The score must be less than two years old.

For more details about this requirement, please see the Application Materials page, item 11.

4.  What is the ETS code for reporting GRE and TOEFL scores?

The University of Michigan's school code for reporting GRE and TOEFL scores is 1839.  Because the scores are reported centrally to the Rackham School of Graduate Studies, the department code does not matter.

5.  How can I check to see if you have received my test scores?

You can check to see if University of Michigan has received your official test scores by using Wolverine Access Application Status.  Please see the Tracking Status page for instructions.  Only the official scores reported directly by ETS or another test agency to the university are listed in Application Status.

Questions about Academic/Language Recommendations

1. Where do I find the Language Recommendation Form?

Please go to the Language Recommendation Form.

2.  My Japanese teacher is not very proficient in English.  Will you accept a recommendation written in Japanese?

While we prefer all application materials, including recommendation forms and letters, to be written in English, we will accept recommendations in Japanese from native speakers of Japanese with limited English proficiency.

Important Note: Recommendation letters written in Japanese (including the Language Recommendation Form) MUST first be converted to PDF format before they are uploaded to the online recommendation system.  If the recommender is not sure if the file has been uploaded correctly, please have the recommender also send the original Word file as an email attachment to  The file must be sent directly by the recommender to this email address.

3. My recommender can't find the email with instructions on how to login and complete my online recommendation.  What do I do?

You can send a reminder message to your recommender which contains instructions on how to login and complete the online recommendation.  This MUST be done by the applicant on the ApplyWeb online application system; no one at UM can do this for you. To do so, go to the Activity Page of the ApplyWeb online application system.  If you have NOT submitted your online application, look for the link to the Activity Page on the Recommendation page of the online application, just above the box for Recommender 1.  If you have already submitted your online application, you will automatically be taken to the Activity Page when you login to ApplyWeb.

Once you get to the Activity Page, look for the list of recommenders for the University of Michgian Rackham Graduate School.  For each recommender that you registered on the online application, you will see status information.  Use the "Take action..." drop down box and select "Send reminder..." to send a reminder message to your recommender.

4. My recommender is not responding to my email request for a recommendation.  Can I substitute a new person?

If the recommender has not started to work on the recommendation, you can replace this person with a new recommender.  See directions in Section C-6 above for how to get to the status information on online recommendations.  Once you get there, use the "Take action...." drop down box and select "Edit this recommender..." to enter information about the new recommender.