Provides stipends, language training, and individualized professional internships in Asia for 18 young Americans each year. The program's purpose is to increase awareness of Asia among future leaders in American society. Placements can be made in the following locations: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. The annual selection is an unusually rigorous process and a nationwide competition. Each candidate must first be nominated by their home university. For additional program information, visit the Henry Luce Foundation website.
By appointment. Meetings may be in-person or via phone. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Luce Scholar Program campus liaison at email@example.com.
October 1, 2018 5PM (ET)
The Luce Foundation has recently announced that the 2019-20 application will be offered as an online application. This online application should open in early September 2018.
In the interim, applicants should prepare the word-document-based application, which can be found here.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Luce Scholars Program Application
- Four Letters of Recommendation
- Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate, if applicable)
- Two Passport-size Photos
- American citizen
- No more than 29 years old by July 1, 2019
- Received at least a bachelor’s degree
- High achievement, outstanding leadership ability, and a clearly defined career interest with evidence of potential for professional accomplishment
- Students who already have significant experience in Asia or Asian studies are NOT eligible for nomination to the Luce Scholars Program
- More eligibility information
An International Institute committee will review applications, and invite the most promising applicants for an interview in October. All applicants will be informed of the results of the University of Michigan review by the end of October. The committee may select no more than three applicants to be nominated to the Luce Scholars Program. All applicants will be informed of the results of the University of Michigan review by the end of October. Nominees will be forwarded to the Luce Foundation where they will enter the selection process at the Luce Scholars Program.