Mosaic Tile Shah Mosque
The Shah mosque in Isfahan, Iran stands at the south side of the Naghsh-i Jahan Square. It was built during the Safavid period and is an excellent example of Persian Islamic architecture.
Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque
Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates. It is the largest mosque in the UAE and can accommodate over 40,000 worshipers.
Saudi Oil Field
Shaybah oil field in Saudi Arabia was discovered and developed in 1998 by Saudi Aramco.
Egyptian Youth Olympics
Egyptian Youth Rythmic Gymnastics Team, Summer 2010
Syrian children display Syrian independence flags at the top of a school play structure.
Easter in Lebanon
Easter in Lebanon is celebrated by several of the local christian communities, including Maronite Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Melkite Catholic, Armenial Orthodox, and many more.
Doha, the capital city of the state of Qatar, was the site of the 2006 Asian Games, the 2011 Pan Arab Games, and plans to host many more significant events in the future - thus the need for a Starbucks.
The Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies (CMENAS)
The Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies enhances awareness of the peoples, cultures, and languages in the Middle East and North Africa. This vitally important region of the world constitutes a highly diverse cultural area now undergoing rapid and large-scale change.
- Pearls of Wisdom: The Arts of Islam at the University of Michigan October 10, 2014
- 7 Surprising Reasons Turkey Is Entering the War on ISIL October 3, 2014
- A North African Leader Advises the West on Human Development, Global Security September 26, 2014
- CMENAS Lecture Series: My Hummus is bigger than Your Hummus: on food and politics in Israel
Speaker: Dafna Hirsch, Department of Sociology, Political Science and Communication,The Open University of Israel
- II Round Table: Free Speech on the Front Lines
- 5:30 PM
- Intimate Strangers: Latin America, Spain and the Middle East
Speaker: Juan Cole, Juan F. Caraball-Resto, and Sergio I. Moya-Mena
- 4:00 PM